[lit-ideas] Re: Geary's Girly Handwriting

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 20:03:07 EDT

In a message dated 10/11/2004 7:58:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I  thought the "I" was a hypercorrection.  I took the "like me" as an
objectival.  I think we need we need a professional on this.   Regarding the
topic,
if you think it's Mike's handwriting, then leave I  out.

----

No, you are right. The topic is _not_ Geary's handwriting. It's his  over-all
sexuality (especially in the Toronto area, etc.).

Back to 'like me'.

I don't think we need a professional (or 'pro' as Geary calls them), since,
you've just agreed with Prof. Lye that experts don't know (many things).

The original sentence was:

    "Geary sends the letter to interested parties like  I"

I think you are right it should have been "like me", since it's something
Geary sends to _people_ (objective case). It's not like "I like strawberries"
where the people are the subject, etc.

Cheers,

JL