[lit-ideas] Re: Geary's Girly Handwriting

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 20:22:08 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

-----Original Message-----
From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
Sent: Oct 11, 2004 8:03 PM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Geary's Girly Handwriting

In a message dated 10/11/2004 7:58:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I  thought the "I" was a hypercorrection.  I took the "like me" as an
objectival.  I think we need we need a professional on this.   Regarding the
topic,
if you think it's Mike's handwriting, then leave I  out.

----

No, you are right. The topic is _not_ Geary's handwriting. It's his  over-all
sexuality (especially in the Toronto area, etc.).

Back to 'like me'.

I don't think we need a professional (or 'pro' as Geary calls them), since,
you've just agreed with Prof. Lye that experts don't know (many things).

A.A. Oh, boy.  What a night.  Exercised broads throwing themselves at me.  Now
this.  But, even though you quoted it wrong (Professor Lye said, "I think of
myself as a expert in every field but my own") you are right.  He is implying
that he can't help us because he doesn't know his own field.  Unless his field
isn't grammar, in which case he would be an expert.

That's it.  I'm outta here.  After this, I really need a workout.

Andy

The original sentence was:

    "Geary sends the letter to interested parties like  I"

I think you are right it should have been "like me", since it's something
Geary sends to _people_ (objective case). It's not like "I like strawberries"
where the people are the subject, etc.

Cheers,

JL