[lit-ideas] Re: Fwd: Natality, Embodiment and the Political

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 00:15:13 EDT

In a message dated 4/20/2009 10:45:36 P.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
phil.enns@xxxxxxxxx writes:
I am all for putting the  female body at the centre of our thinking, I
just don't think this has  anything to do with philosophy.

----

Well, Phil, being a man  (male) would say that.

Oddly, being male myself, I contradict  (him).

I think the penis (i.e. the male body) is important in
various  distinctions we make (vertical vs. horizontal thinking for
example).

Also, as Borges notes in "Dr. Brodie's Report" -- the fictional  account of
the
Scots reverend from Dundee who was lacking a native word for  'father' to
translate
the Lord's prayer --, 'paternity' is not related to  _natality_ as
maternity is.

That is, it's one fuck, nine-months wait,  and, hey you're a dad.
For a female it's one fuck, nine months of getting  your womb continually
enlarged, and hey you _are_ a mum.

Plus, the  spermatozoa that created me from my father are more distant than
the ovum of my  mama that created me. Consider also the umbilical chord. As
Geary notes, "It's  not otiose that there is no umbilical chord that tights
the baby to the  dad".

The political has to do with, except for Eva Peron and Michelle  Obama,
most leaders have
been testicle-carriers.

Of course  Wittgenstein was very _queer_ so he wouldn't understand a  thing.

Cheers,

JL

web. Get the Radio Toolbar!