[lit-ideas] Fwd: Diversity Questions

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 15:45:45 EDT

--- Begin Message ---
  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 06:30:22 EDT
Eric, I think you particularly would enjoy Jonathon Sack's book.  It
addresses, not always answers, but addresses,  the issues you raise  here.  at
5: in
the morning I'm not prepared to give a summation and in  truth the book cannot
be summed up.  But you might leaf through a copy at  your local bookstore.  I
think you'd find it thought-provoking on the  subject you raise.  The title
is "The Dignity of Difference â How to  Avoid the Clash of Civilisations".
But
he doesn't merely talk about  avoiding clashes; he also talks about why he
thinks it is a positive  interaction, and how acknowledging and respecting and
enjoying diversity can be  a beneficial and nurturing thing.  I'd be interested
in your take on the  book if you glance at it.  I personally consider it one
of the most  important and profound pieces on the issue you raise.  But that's
just me  <g>.

Julie Krueger