[lit-ideas] Re: Fwd: Diversity Questions

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2005 15:56:47 -0400

Thanks for the suggestion! From what I can tell, however, this is a religious and prescriptive book rather than a forensic account of actual evidence.

The Sacks book is reviewed here http://blogcritics.org/archives/2004/11/14/095619.php

and the Amazon review (from Library Journal) is here:
http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/0826414435/702-5544037-2747257

From Library Journal
The chief rabbi of Britain and the Commonwealth, Sacks is well known through his appearances on British television and through his 12 books (e.g., A Letter in the Scroll). Americans will be taken with his incisive arguments and clear writing style. What he presents here is not a treatise on Jewish faith and customs but a look at the discontents of our world and how religious values can unite rather than divide us. Sacks sees certain values (e.g., education, responsibility, charity) as imperative to any new world order, regardless of one's religious beliefs. Though these values might seem self-evident, he shows how their absence causes much that is wrong. He further exhorts us to explore more covenantal relationships, which he defines as "a bond, not of interest and advantage, but of belonging" and sees as paramount to our survival-more so than commercial relationships, however essential they are to capitalist society. Throughout, Sacks makes reference to demanding philosophical thought, but he provides some much-needed spiritual uplift in this post-9/11 world, and his work is accessible to informed lay readers.