[lit-ideas] Re: French effiiciency spawns riots?

  • From: Michael Chase <goya@xxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 09:56:08 +0100

Le 16 nov. 05, à 17:37, Eric Yost a écrit :

MC: ...Broken off from their roots and with no particular way of integrating French culture at any level other than the menial level of their parents, these kids wound up angry and with nothing to lose.

EY: I am a nationalist (you would say jingoist) more than a globalist. So I tend to see failures of integration as failures of a solid nationalism. In other words, French society fails to see the miserables as French, but rather views them as global riff-raff. You mentioned global hip-hop as a particularly pernicious factor in the unrest.

Isn't it the case that a comprehensive nationalism would take better care of its miserables? And that globalism sees them as transient migrant populations that can be left to fester for themselves?

I suspect you won't accept this argument, and would be interested in learning why.

M.C. You're right that I wouldn't accept it. My basic reason is that in my view, nationalism sucks, big time.

It would probably be going too far to say it is the root of all evil. But not by much. Nationalism is the maginification to a nation-wide scale of our most basic, and base, tendencies : egocentrism, aggressiveness, machismo. It's the logical extension of that most primitive human urge : to think we're better than anyone else. It leads first to selfishness and disinterest in others, then to xenophobia, then, in the worst cases, to fascism and desires for world domination.

The history of Soviet communism is a good example. It started as a humanistic philosophy, intended to better the fate of the working classes and based on the extraordinarily brilliant work of a great scholar, Karl Marx. It was adopted and rigidified by Lenin, who was less interested in theoretical subtleties than in the eminently practical problem overturning a particularly brutal and repressive regime, namely Czarism, and then organizing and defending the world's first truly revolutionary state in the face of world-wide opposition. But by the time Stalin defeated and killed, imprisoned or exiled Trotsky and his Internationalist followers, the fate of Communism was sealed : it was henceforth an international movement in name only, and all its decisions and acts were from now on dedicated exclusively to promoting the interests of the Soviet Union : that is, to nationalism.

Ironically, it was partly natonalism that spelled the end of the Soviet Union : no longer Russian nationalism, but Ukranian, Polish, Latvian, and Kazakh nationalism, to name but a few. And to what has this new nationalism given birth ? To regimes awash in corruption, economically and culturally bankrupt, rife with anti-Semitism and anti-gypsy movements, in which reactionary theocracies collaborate with brutal mafias and Nazi sympathizers are recycled as saints.

So goes the dialectic of nationalism. If this is the kind of future Eric has in mind for France, may I respectfully request that he stick it where the sun don't shine?

Michael Chase
(goya@xxxxxxxxxxx)
CNRS UPR 76
7, rue Guy Moquet