[lit-ideas] Re: Franglais 101

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 21:55:26 -0500

For those who think I don't know French (cf. RP) I translate Ritchie here line by line:

Franglais 101  Lecon Vingt
French 101  Lesson 20

Mec?  T'as vu Jean-Michel Gearie?
Hey, guy, have you've seen John Michael Geary?

Il est en train de fixer le frigo et son roman nouveau.
He's busy fixing refrigerators and his novel.

Tien? Est ce que son roman nouveau est un nouveau roman?
Get outta here!  Is his novel a really new one?

Pas du tout.  Quel horreur.  C'est groundbreaking, de la poesie.
Not at all. What a horror it is. It's ground breaking (for burial) of poetry.

Et le frigo?
And the refrigeration [work]?

Crapaud.
[I'm not sure whether he means here: "crap" or "toad work"]

In any event I thank Ritchie for his French kiss.

Mike Geary
Memphis