[lit-ideas] Re: Four photos of Sage

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 16:53:40 -0800

Ursula,

Since I have an eBay-purchased DSLR on its way via priority mail from a pawn
broker in Georgia, I am psyching myself up for its arrival -- spending a lot
of time on photographic subjects and objects, and I spent a lot of time
looking at your photos.  Thanks.

My first thought was that you were more comfortable with the idea of
photography as art than I was.  I'm thinking of your "New Orleans shades,"
"bananas," and "the Wages of" for example.   In the latter you perhaps used
a filter of some sort.  I looked at the filters available for the camera I
am getting.  There is an amazing selection at
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200549011719&ssPageName=S
TRK:MEWAX:IT  I haven't ordered any because something in me balks at
changing the subject I'm looking at.  I'll grant that "The Wages of" is the
most striking of all your photos and the only one that seems as though you
changed something; so I can appreciate the effects, but still I am more
inclined toward a different approach.   I may maneuver the girls into some
interesting spot and then walk to a position where I can get the photo I
want, but that is not the same as changing what I'm seeing -- or is it?

But on second thought I can see myself taking advantage of some of those
same things you saw.  Did you intend "Market Shrine" as art or was it just
something interesting, perhaps a bit artistic in its own right, that you
wanted a record of?  Had I passed by that Market Shrine I might have taken a
picture of it as well.

Lawrence