[lit-ideas] Re: Forbes Family

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 12:11:18 -0700

on 7/30/04 11:12 AM, Judy Evans at judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> PDJ> I learned something listening to the Democratic convention last night:
> PDJ> that John F. Kerry's middle name is Forbes and that he is, indeed, a
> PDJ> Forbes on his mother's side.
>
> are our media, simply, very much better than yours? I've known since
> before John Kerry announced he would run. I did know the precise
> details but have forgotten them -- but you are correct in thinking he
> is not a "filthy rich Forbes".

Forbes is an old name and was once pronounced "Forbas" or "Forbose" or
"Forebess" or "Forbss."  In 1917 Keith Leask wrote of:

"unsanctified snobs
That could mangle the sound of a fine Scottish name
And whittle it down into --Fobbs."

Kerre is, of course, a name from the Borders.

All of which adds up to John Kerry being part Scot, possibly part Irish and
part Catholicised Alsatian Jew.

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon
(brother-in-law to a Forbes)