[lit-ideas] Re: Follow Up to Fly in the Fly-Bottle

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 09:08:15 -0600

DR:
I'm wondering if I have any such remaining allegiances.

Do others?

Linus Pauling: "Young people should always listen to their elders, but not necessarily believe what they say."

I was annoyed by the media incessantly calling Chesley Sullenberger, the pilot of U S Airways plane that ditched into the Hudson, a hero. He was no hero. He was a wonderfully competent pilot and everyone is enormously grateful for that, but he was not a hero. A hero is someone who voluntarily risks his life or limb or place-in-the-world to help or safe someone else. Sullenberger had no choice in the matter. It doesn't diminish the value of what he accomplished to say he was not a hero. It does diminish the meaning of "hero" to use it in situations that don't warrant the term.

I know of one hero, a teacher who tried to stop an attack by a gang of high school boys on another boy. The teacher got cut up pretty bad, but he probably saved the kid's life. I can't even remember my hero's name. We taught at the same school 38 years ago. I doubt I would have had the courage to step into that situation. I have no idea what I would have done. He probably didn't either at the time.

Other than that guy I can't remember having personally come across any heroes. There are several people I admire -- social activists mostly (imagine that!) and some artsy-fartsy rebels, not much at stake there though.

Mike Geary
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Ritchie" <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>