[lit-ideas] Re: Follow Up to Fly in the Fly-Bottle

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 00:14:49 -0800

On Feb 28, 2009, at 4:19 PM, John Wager wrote:

In my most polite sergeant voice, I asked him to please get down before he got himself killed. He did, and no one was injured that night.

Was he a hero?

Yes, I think he was. Heroes are out-of-step with reality, which is defined as what we, the mean or median, define reality to be; they do or say things which we might have done if we had more time to reflect, or if we had their sense of timing. We don't. So, to mark their difference, we call them heroes. This, of course, differs from the case in which someone achieves something great. Here, the major variable is reaction time.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon