[lit-ideas] Re: F*ckland

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 21:52:35 +0000 (GMT)

Well.  I suppose 'argie' could be OK, JL, it all depends.  Taffy is I'd say
usually but not always offensive. Paki is really out of order.

> In La Plata,  where I was born, the British
> 'consul' was indeed one
> Puleston, who have land in  Wales. He was
> 'friendly' referred to as "Taffy
> Puleston" by the ignorant argies  if you can believe
> that!

:) -- would they call the Patagonian Welsh/Welsh Patagonians Taffy?

more on Taffy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taffy_was_a_Welshman

> "Turk, 'an aggressive
> person', it read, "fig." (as in "My
> child is a  little Turk, he is". This was
> later dropped).

"little Turk' rings a bell, but I can't work out why.  This was the first
discussion I found:

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=670231

Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK