[lit-ideas] F*ckland

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 19:13:13 EDT

In a message dated 4/24/2009 5:00:29 P.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Same as  "Argies," a neutral
> term.

I wouldn't call it neutral. I'd never  heard it before the Falklands War.

----

Good point,  Judy.

Incidentally, Steven Berkoff (whom I met in Buenos Aires,  post-Falkland,
touring with, of all things, The Brit Council with "Shakespeare  Villains" a
one man show where he played well, er, the Shakespeare villains) has  a
play, "Sink the Belgrano!" -- very rude.

I trust "Argentine" is a  _long_ term for a nationality. Or rather, grant
it. "Argie" can indeed be  friendly. Same as "Paki" as uttered by Prince
Harry, I suspect.

Limey,  too, but "Taffy" _would_ be very derogatory for Welsh.

In La Plata,  where I was born, the British 'consul' was indeed one
Puleston, who have land in  Wales. He was 'friendly' referred to as "Taffy
Puleston" by the ignorant argies  if you can believe that!

Myself, since I have an Italian passport, I  could also be called "Tano"
which is a very derogatory way in Argieland to refer  to "Italians" --
'gringo' is another -- 'tano' being short for 'Napolitano'  where all are
supposed
to hail from (not my family though).

F*ckland,  sorry for the expletive, was a political film made in Argentina
about an  Argentine (or Argentinian, but that sounds like Palestinian) who
goes to the  islands to breed with the 'kelpers'.

Fascinating subject, nationality  terms. I treasure an anecdote Burchfield
tells in his book by Faber & Faber  on the OED: "Turk, 'an aggressive
person', it read, "fig." (as in "My child is a  little Turk, he is". This was
later dropped).

Cheers,

JLS

web. Get the Radio Toolbar!