[lit-ideas] Farmer's Market

  • From: "Torgeir Fjeld" <phatic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 20:04:35 +0100

Oh, and if y'all haven't had the chance to hear Farmers' Market, yet, check out
_Surfin' USSR_. From a review on Amazon.com:

This is surf music fused with Gypsy music. Conceptually the CD is a
masterpiece. The idea of fusing Surf music and Gypsy/Bulgarian wedding music is
just brilliant. While it might sound a bit out there, there are quite a few
similarities between the both styles, most notable is that both genres feature
runs of single note solos at breakneck speeds. The leader of the group, Stian
Carstensen is an accordion player from Norway. The other two featured soloists
are Nils Olav Johansen on guitars and Bulgarian reedist Trifon Trifonov. The
highlights of the album are the many occasions where the 3 soloists trade off
on blazing fast rifs. To round out the CD there is a touch of humor and a touch
of a few other genres. The album titles and themes are a spoof on the main
concept of Surf music and Eastern Europe/USSR during the cold war. In addition
to the surf and gypsy music there are also a few touches of eccentric Asian
music and blue grass (w/ banjo playing) throw in. A few or the tracks feature
vocals that are actually quite good, but most of the album is w/o vocals. Here
is the lineup.

Scott Williams "sneakyneighborsdog" (Oakland, CA United States)

Yours übertruly,
Torgeir Fjeld
Of Norway