[lit-ideas] Re: Face the Music

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 17:26:16 -0700

On Aug 11, 2010, at 1:20 AM, Eric wrote:

Please note that the claim, "If you  don't like the same
music, your relationship is doomed," was submitted to the list as an observation to be discussed, ignored, or refuted. To pettifog, cavil, and kvetch about the vagueness of my language -- what do you mean the SAME music?-- probably represents either lightheartedness or a strategy of personal concealment. In either case, it doesn't engage with my claim, which was existential rather than axiomatic.

I didn't merely engage with your claim, I fenced and then staked it. Right through the heart. It's dangerous.

I agree that musical differences can be important. Equally true of other differences. People separate due to "irreconcilable differences," which means there is work for those who choose to stay together. They have to try to reconcile differences. I don't think there's any doom or fate about it. Just effort, patience, and accommodation with accessible blocks to walk around, or bolt holes wherein one can escape Carol King.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon