[lit-ideas] Re: European Vietnam?

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 16:24:16 -0500

On 2/13/2011 6:27 AM, Donal McEvoy wrote:
The effect of the Great War on the European mindset was doubtless momentous.
The disillusion was surely realism.

Disillusion usually presents itself to us as realism, doesn't it? Even when it is not realism?

The latter disillusion [that the war could and should have been avoided] was
arguably the more important, as it is easier for the powers-that-be to dupe us
that our military are now fully competent (despite past failures) than to dupe
us that cause for the next war is sufficient,

and so this disillusion operates at a deeper and more longstanding level.

From what I've read, combat strategies aside, millions dead bracketed somewhere, Europeans were also duped by the peace. Lloyd George and Clemenceau had political obligations to extract a harsh peace settlement and failed to create the conditions for a lasting peace, largely to satisfy their political needs at home.

It is vital to distinguish whether the U.S. misadventure in Vietnam was a
failure of competence or lack of sufficient just cause or both. What kind of
analogy we make with the European experience depends on whether, as with the
Great War, it was both.

Curiously, Ho Chi Minh tried to meet with Wilson at Versailles and was rebuffed. One wonders how things would have proceeded had the Powers-That-Were used Versailles as a platform to establish standards for national independence rather than cling to their colonies.

I think it was more than just -- quite noble even -- for the US to try to shut down the Soviet Union through containment strategy. However, while the US viewed Vietnam as part of containment, the Vietnamese viewed it as a struggle for national independence. That's where US incompetence comes in, as in US involvement with other countries: our inability to view the world by anything but Cold War principles. Tens of thousand of nuclear missiles have that effect.