[lit-ideas] English Sculpture -- and Greek Myth: A Survey

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 08:49:37 EST

Similarly, I've doing some research on English sculpture -- this St.  Michael
Hall is _too_ anglo-oriented! --.

And I came to love sculpture in the round more than I do painting. My
favourite all time English sculptor would probably be F. Gilbert: His St.
George,
Daedalus, and the fountain in Hyde Park -- not to mention Anteros in
Piccadilly -- are more than a share of the best of Greek Myth.

Then there's LEIGHTON and his few sculptures, but there are MILLIONS of
English sculptures who could ONLY find inspiration in English myth.

Your favourite welcome for discussion, as we could trace the very or
earliest classical line that mentions the subject.

The more you go into pre-Victorian the best sculptures you get.

        (In the painting section, I  forgot a mention of Waterhouse -- a
populist painter, but who has the best  representations of Adonis, for example,
complete with Aphrodite crying over his  blood turning into roses -- this is a
favourite locus with Philostratus, I now  find).

Country:

St. Michael Hall,
Calle 58, No. 611,
La  Plata B1900 BPY