[lit-ideas] Darjeeling Limited

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lit-Ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 07:53:23 -0800

Watched this last night. MetaCritic gives it 67 points, which is about right. It's... okay. Sort of.

Bill Murray shows up for a few seconds. The movie is based on his flat glum look in his movies, which makes good comedy. In Darjeeling, all the characters have the same flat glum look... all the time. It's funny for a few minutes, but soon becomes very boring. They look as if they've overdone the Prozac.

The movie has no plot or idea. This happens. That happens. Something else happens. The main joke is the idea of three brothers on a spiritual quest to reconnect with each other. But they are internally dead to themselves, so they can't connect to themselves or anyone else, which means the joke doesn't work. They don't even try.

Several friends said they'd like to ride that train, but it doesn't exist. There is no "Darjeeling Limited". It was created for the movie.

I wonder how Indians will react to the movie. I wonder if the movie will even be shown in India.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com