[lit-ideas] Re: Elementary, Dr. Watson

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 14:11:46 -0700

I wrote in reply to Donal

He nowhere says that we can never (that it would be logically impossible
to?) describe or give examples of the objects.

Paul Stone asks

But doesn't he sort of, kind of, imply that it would be futile for us
(or at least him) to try?

'I asked Wittgenstein whether, when he wrote the _Tractatus_, he had ever decided upon anything as an example of a "simple object". His reply was that at that time his thought had been that he was a _logician_; and that it was not his business, as a logician, to try to decide whether this thing or that was a simple or complex thing, that being a purely _empirical_ matter! It was clear that he regarded his former opinion as absurd.'

—Norman Malcolm, Ludwig Wittgenstein: a Memoir, p. 86. This conversation would have been in 1949, when Wittgenstein was visiting the Malcolms, in Ithaca.

Robert Paul