[lit-ideas] Einstein's Moment of Glory--1907 "the gravitational field has only a relative existence"

  • From: "Richard Henninge" <RichardHenninge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 05:15:40 +0100

Einstein's Moment of Glory

It was in 1907 that the most fortunate thought of my life came to me . . . the gravitational field had only a relative existence, since for an observer who is in a free fall from the roof of a house--at least in his surroundings--no gravitational field exists. In fact, all objects dropped by this observer remain in a state of rest or uniform movement, independent of their chemical or physical nature.

---Translation of "Die Sternstunde" from _Aus meinen späten Jahren_ by Albert Einstein.

Richard Henninge
University of Mainz