[lit-ideas] Re: Drei Kleine Nachtmusiken

  • From: cblists@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 20:49:48 +0100

On 5-Mar-09, at 5:47 PM, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:

   Consider:

       A:  I'll play a little  night music.

        B: I'm a little drunk

There is an ambiguity about 'a little' in English which does not occur in German.

Ich werde ein bisschen Nachtmusik spielen.
=  I'll play a little (bit of) night music.

Ich werde eine kleine Nachtmusik spielen.
= I'll play a little (i.e., small) [piece of] night music.

Ich bin ein klein Saufer.
= I'm a little drunk (i.e., a drunkard of small stature).

Ich bin ein bisschen betrunken.
= I'm a [little] bit drunk.

(It's interesting to note that the bite/bit - Biss/Bisschen correlation is preserved across the languages.)

The High/Low German distinction is too complex for me to do it justice here (or anywhere, for that matter!). The German province Baden- Württemburg actually uses the following slogan in their tourism advertising:

"Wir können alles.  Außer Hochdeutsch."
= We can [do] everything. Except [speak] High German.

See:

http://www.baden-wuerttemberg.de/de/Werbe-_und_Sympathiekampagne/124658.html

Chris Bruce,
coming clean, in