[lit-ideas] Re: Drei Kleine Nachtmusiken

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 14:48:41 -0600

JL:
"I'm a little drunk". The 'a' applies to 'little', not to drunk. It does
_not_ mean: "I'm a small drunkard". It's otiose having to show these basic
things to anglo-native speakers.

And yet, that is your lot in life.  Get over it.

It has struck me that the more common / important something is within a culture, the more words there are to communicate it. Thus the plethora of words to name sexual organs and acts and dispositions, etc. So, too, with bodily elimination and its products, there's a shitload of terminology in this regard -- who would have guessed such scatological fascination? In the same vein are the words, words, words used to describe drinking and intoxication. So I guess the 3 most important aspects of human culture are shitting and fucking and drinking.

No judgment being passed here. I bring it up because I think JL should write a book about that.

Mike Geary
regular, chaste and sober
in Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: <Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx>