[lit-ideas] Re: Dramma per musica

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 03:18:40 EDT

In a message dated 9/28/2010 7:10:58 A.M. Coordinated Universal Time,
palma@xxxxxxxx writes:

francamente meglio i puritani

-----

Yes. It's hard to say, though. Sonnambula has some good parts for the
tenor, as does Beatrice di Tenda, etc. In general, as someone said, no opera is

so bad that contains no good bit about it.

--------- In general, I prefer to know one bit from each of the few operas
that Bellini composed rather than many from just one -- "Puritani". He
called  the thing "Puritani di Scozia", only to be told that no such thing
existed, and  then set the plot in Cornwall, rather.

----

What fascinates me about Bellini is the 'bel-canto' thing, which he sort of
 revolutionised, in that he gave a romantic approach to things. I would NOT
think  he could have composed what he did without RUBINI, the greatest
tenor that ever  existed.

----

Etc.

Speranza