[lit-ideas] Re: Headlines

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 08:09:39 +0000 (GMT)

I suppose I was thinking of the Times. Yes.

Judy Evans, Cardiff

From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Monday, 27 September, 2010, 18:52

On Sep 27, 2010, at 10:20 AM, Judith Evans wrote:

Aren't headlines an odd form?

I've heard it said the Sun pays its headline writers a fortune.  It was though
the News of the World that greeted an England 5-1 win over Germany with "Don't
Mention the Score".  (The Independent, which is supposed to be above that kind
of thing, did it too.)  The BBC, I sometimes think,is simply (on occasion)
inept.

Brill/

British

ones seem to assume more knowledge and agreement than our

local counterparts do.

I don't know what yours are like. But you know this place: small island,
relatively massive national media, and so on.

Our newspaper doesn't do tease or wit; it goes for headlines with long
explanatory elaboration, in the manner of academic books and theses.  "Use of
illegal drugs up 9 percent, study finds," followed by the subhead, beginning
with category of story, "Health/Ecstasy and meth use increased by double digits
in 2009, while cocaine use fell."  No caps after the first word; little risk of
ambiguity.

Occasionally, however, local headline writers try for something pithier, "Stuck
in a sinkhole, Moses the camel rises from muck with luck."  This was a story
about a Bactrian camel that someone who either has a rather hazy understanding
of geography or who just doesn't care about context, uses in Nativity scenes.
 Manger, baby Jesus, Asian camel.  Of course!

Moses got stuck in a hole; the fire brigade pulled him out.

Imagine if British headline writers got work moonlighting on academic titles,
"Virgin on the Ridiculous; Post-humorous Discourse on the Reign of Elizabeth 1."

Perhaps others might like to give the task a try?

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon