[lit-ideas] Re: Dr. Atomic

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 20:01:39 EDT

So he _thought_ he was being witty:

'atomic'.

Logic. Of a proposition, sentence, etc.: irreducible, unanalysable; spec.
including no logical constants. Cf. MOLECULAR adj. 4.

1912 L. WITTGENSTEIN Let. to Russell in Notebks. 1914-16 (1961) 120,

I believe that our PROBLEMS [emphasis mine. JLS -- apparently he had  more
than one, but this _was_ before the Great War] can be traced down  to the
atomic propositions.

1918 B. RUSSELL in Monist 523

An atomic proposition is one which does mention actual particulars, not
merely describe them but actually name them.

1922 C. K. OGDEN tr. L. Wittgenstein Tractatus 31

An atomic fact is a combination of objects (entities, things).

Cheers,

JLS
web. Get the Radio Toolbar!