[lit-ideas] Atomicity and Tractatus 2.0201

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 20:05:29 EDT

Again from the OED:

1959 B. RUSSELL My Philos. Devel. x. 118 The  principle of atomicity is
stated by Wittgenstein in the following terms: ‘Every  statement about
complexes can be analysed into a statement about their  constituent parts, and
into
those propositions which completely describe the  complexes’ (Tractatus,
2.0201).

Oddly, 'complex' is a word I use a lot following C. A. B. Peacocke. He
speaks of 'propositional complexes', etc. I too believe that things like,

      "the cat is on the mat"

_is_ a complex, and that it makes little sense to dwell on the
'simplicities' inovlved. We cannot think _simplicities_. It's always a
propositional
complex we must think of.

When we say, colloquially,

    "Geary thought, 'Robert'"

we have to expand as "Geary thought that Robert had the key to the car,"
etc.

JLS

web. Get the Radio Toolbar!