[lit-ideas] Re: Dogs

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 00:52:21 -0500

>>How strangely liberating it is to talk of our love of dogs.

A non-shaggy dog story.

Years ago, living in a different apartment, I had an extremely smart and gentle dog named Julie. She was a Doberman / German Shepherd mix. Julie was rescued by a friend who worked at a charity in Bedford-Stuyvesant. A street dog, Julie refused to leave the alley where her mate had recently died, and though she approached people, including my friend, she always wandered back to the alley. Intrigued, my friend followed her into the alley and discovered the dead male. My friend managed to get a cab (not so easy in B-S), put the dog in it, and took her to Manhattan.

To make a long story short, I took care of the dog. Julie was covered with scabies and needed a couple years of vet treatment before she fully regained her coat. At first she was pure street dog, strong willed and very fast. She fought the short leash, would jump over the dog run fence, and sometimes stole pizza from the homeless people living under a bridge in the park. After five years, she was well trained.

I took her into the hall one afternoon, en route to the dog run, pushed the elevator button ... then remembered I had forgotten something. I looped the leash over a utility closet knob, ran back, got what I needed, returned in less than 30 seconds.

Julie was gone. I called her. Nothing. Ran up and down the stairwell. Nothing.

What happened? Julie got the leash free from the door knob. The elevator then stopped at my floor, with a couple people inside. Julie got into the elevator alone, much to the astonishment of the people inside, went down to the lobby, walked with them past the doorman, and sat outside the building waiting for me.

After asking the doorman--he thought Julie was the couple's dog--I rushed outside. Juli yawned and stood up, uttered a "come on already" moan. And off we went.