[lit-ideas] Re: Dogo Argentino, etc

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 00:45:19 -0400

I'm sorry, Eric.

Thanks very much Judy, but let me also emphasize
that it was several years ago. Traumatic memories
are always vivid. That's why I blather on about it.

It was the only time in my life, however, that I
can remember my entire body being soaked with
sweat. My pants, for example, were sopping wet
with my own sweat -- as though they had been
pulled out of a washing machine. My socks were wet
my own sweat. There was nowhere to sit down, and
no use for it but instantly showering.

Like playing six nonstop hours of tennis in one's
street clothes. All compressed into twenty minutes.

Granted, it's not a philosophical argument, but
one wishes philosophy had more room for intense
experience ... though maybe Robert Paul hit the
nail when he quoted Nussbaum's:

"That there might be other ways of being precise,
other conceptions of lucidity and completeness
that might be held to be more appropriate for
ethical thought—this was, on the whole, neither
asserted or even denied."

Best,
Eric