[lit-ideas] Re: Dogo Argentino, etc

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 13:15:05 -0400

>>Fila Brasileiro

Friend of a friend owned one of these dogs. They were originally bred by the Portuguese for protection and to hunt jaguars. Slavers used them to track runaway slaves; police to hunt escaped criminals. They are superb, albeit slobbering, bodyguards and home guard dogs. Worst characteristic seems to be that they give no signs of pending aggression. No barking. No growling. No tail movements or raised hair. Mostly silent when confronted by strangers, they suddenly attack.

Years ago, in a city dog run, I had to defend my dog against a bit pull who suddenly attacked her. Acted without thinking, and managed to take down and subdue the pit bull without being bitten, knocked it out, and eye gouged it until it released my dog's neck from its teeth. It was one of the most traumatic experiences I've ever had ... made me realize in frantic horror how weak I was, how relentless that block of muscles and teeth was, how overmatched I was by a simple pit bull. I was lucky to escape the fight without a scratch. My dog lived several years after the attack. (Dog run association wanted me to sue the pit bull owner, but I was too traumatized to follow up with anything.)

Imagining a similar situation with the larger Fila Brasileiro, I supposed I would have acted in a similar way, and would probably be dead.

In an urban environment, it makes sense to control people's ownership of such animals, and to regulate the animals themselves. If you had such a dog on a ranch, I would be a different situation.

Eric