[lit-ideas] Dissecting Love

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 07:12:42 EST

_http://women.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,17909-2032519,00.html_
(http://women.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,17909-2032519,00.html)

What makes Cupid's arrows stick?
Dr Thomas Stuttaford

Scans  reveal how the brain changes when we fall in love

One major advance in  medicine, rarely given the credit that it deserves, is
the introduction of  sterile, sharp, disposable needles. Forty years ago my
partner and I filled in  the time before morning surgery by sharpening
much-used
old needles on an oiled  grindstone, before sterilising them.
Cupid, the son of Venus, sharpened his  arrows, too â in a similar way to
that employed at the Fleggburgh surgery,  though he used blood rather than oil
on
his grindstone. There is a legend,  followed up by Shakespeare, that Cupid
had two types of arrow: one gave rise to  long-lasting, committed, so-called
virtuous love, the other to lust. The arrows  that led to lasting love were
gold,
which would have needed careful sharpening  to penetrate and stay embedded.

The lovestruck person hit by a  golden arrow would pass through the three
stages leading to lasting commitment â  lust, acceptance and attachment, and
deep
friendship. What could be more  virtuous? Cupidâs other arrows were leaden:
although they might strike their  victim, they were unlikely to penetrate, let
alone to remain embedded. Cupidâs  leaden arrow gave rise to short-lived,
lustful, sensual passion.
That there  are different types of love, the virtuous and the lustful, the
one lasting and  the other transient, is accepted by neurophysiologists and
psychologists. The  brain and the hormonal endocrine system have been studied,
as
has the  biochemical and radiological effect of the two types of arrow. Cupidâ
s arrows  now are made neither of gold nor of lead, but by visual images and,
above all,  by a whiff of pheromones or scent.
We are attracted by those in whom we can  see something of ourselves, or of
our opposite parent, or of some other  role-forming adult figure of our
childhood. It may be that only one part of the  womanâs body (in the case of
a man)
can sharpen the arrow so that it penetrates.  Nearly all people of both sexes,
even if they donât admit it, suffer from a  degree of partialism â a sexual
preference for a particular part of the body of  a future mate.
The pheromones are produced by the modified sweat glands  around the nipples,
groin, genitalia and under the arm. They are also present in  the cheeks,
eyelids, ears, temple and scalp, where they secrete a less obvious  smell.
Recent research indicates that tears also contain pheromones. The  romantic
novelistâs idea of the tough heroâs resolve melting when the woman  cries
may
not have represented any change in his hard heart: perhaps the smell  of the
tears merely stimulated those parts of the brain â the ventral tegmental
area
(VTA), the dorsal caudate body and caudate tail â that, according to the
science writer Michael Gross, are activated during those first lustful stages
of
love in someone genetically or environmentally conditioned to succumb.
These  changes in the brain, demonstrated in MRI studies, disappear once the
lustful,  romantic stage has waned. Indeed, a rejected ex-lover has a quite
different  batch of brain responses â areas associated with obsessive
compulsive
behaviour,  controlled anger and pain are activated, hence the observation
that rejection  can superficially heighten love and alter its nature.
When people fall in  love, the MRI changes are accompanied by changes in
blood serotonin levels that  mirror those found in people with obsessional
states.
At the same time, levels  of the hormones cortisol FSH and testosterone rise.
Surprisingly, the rate at  which testosterone rises in lovestruck women is
greater than in men, in whom  there may even be a slight fall. The level of
another chemical messenger, nerve  growth factor (NGF), also rises in the blood
of
those who are âin loveâ.
The  biochemical results suggest that a leaden arrow falls out between 12 and
24  months after Cupid has struck. The hormonal changes and increase in NGF
disappear and levels return to normal.
Luckily for those hit by a golden  arrow, the second stage of attachment is
tipped with oxytocin, the so-called  âcuddle hormoneâ associated with
female
orgasms, delivery and lactation. This  stays at a higher level so long as the
second stage of partnership lasts.