[lit-ideas] Re: Dissecting Love

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 08:17:28 -0500

I have in my old computer somewhere a discussion that "falling in love" is
very similar to being on drugs (or being mentally ill (seriously), I don't
remember now).  The below article talks only about pheromones as the reason
for falling in love, important no doubt.   Personally, I think that as
important or more important than pheromones are psychological reasons,
specifically, but not limited to, the re-creation of the infant's
experience with the mother.  Believe it or not, unresolved anger has a lot
to do with it too.  I once heard someone on the radio say that it's ironic
that pheromones are a reason for sexual attraction, yet we take daily
showers, wash the pheromones off, and replace them with things like musk
fragrances.  Napoleon allegedly would write to Josephine, don't bathe, I'm
coming home.  The role of smell in attraction underscores that humans are
really just animals.  The big brains are an afterthought, useful for making
nice big guns and melting ice caps and little more.

I was in the supermarket recently and one of the check-out magazines
(Celebrity Living I think, never heard of it) said that (celebrity) Nick
Somebody was rejecting (celebrity) Jessica Somebody (a stunning 20
something blonde) for someone really sexy, which it turns out is Miss
Kentucky.  Nick Somebody obviously has high standards when it comes to
sexy.  Sex is so out of control, obsessed over whether by glorifying it or
demonizing it.  Nothing in the middle.  Maybe because we're afraid of our
animal sides?   We like to think we're not animals?  If we're animals and
we eat animals, then we're cannibals, right?  Can't help it, it's Friday.

Cupid
> had two types of arrow: one gave rise to  long-lasting, committed,
so-called
> virtuous love, the other to lust. The arrows  that led to lasting love
were gold,
> which would have needed careful sharpening  to penetrate and stay
embedded.

> The lovestruck person hit by a  golden arrow would pass through the three
> stages leading to lasting commitment â??  lust, acceptance and
attachment, and deep
> friendship. What could be more  virtuous? Cupidâ??s other arrows were
leaden:
> although they might strike their  victim, they were unlikely to
penetrate, let
> alone to remain embedded. Cupidâ??s  leaden arrow gave rise to
short-lived,
> lustful, sensual passion.
> That there  are different types of love, the virtuous and the lustful,
the
> one lasting and  the other transient, is accepted by neurophysiologists
and
> psychologists. The  brain and the hormonal endocrine system have been
studied, as
> has the  biochemical and radiological effect of the two types of arrow.
Cupidâ??
> [...]
> We are attracted by those in whom we can  see something of ourselves, or
of
> our opposite parent, or of some other  role-forming adult figure of our
> childhood. It may be that only one part of the  womanâ??s body (in the
case of a man)
> can sharpen the arrow so that it penetrates.  Nearly all people of both
sexes,
> even if they donâ??t admit it, suffer from a  degree of partialism â?? a
sexual
> preference for a particular part of the body of  a future mate.
> The pheromones are produced by the modified sweat glands  around the
nipples,
> groin, genitalia and under the arm. They are also present in  the cheeks,
> eyelids, ears, temple and scalp, where they secrete a less obvious
smell.
> Recent research indicates that tears also contain pheromones. The
romantic
> novelistâ??s idea of the tough heroâ??s resolve melting when the woman
cries may
> not have represented any change in his hard heart: perhaps the smell  of
the
> tears merely stimulated those parts of the brain â?? the ventral
tegmental  area
> (VTA), the dorsal caudate body and caudate tail â?? that, according to
the
> science writer Michael Gross, are activated during those first lustful
stages of
> love in someone genetically or environmentally conditioned to succumb.
> These  changes in the brain, demonstrated in MRI studies, disappear once
the
> lustful,  romantic stage has waned. Indeed, a rejected ex-lover has a
quite
> different  batch of brain responses â?? areas associated with obsessive
compulsive
> behaviour,  controlled anger and pain are activated, hence the
observation
> that rejection  can superficially heighten love and alter its nature.
> When people fall in  love, the MRI changes are accompanied by changes in
> blood serotonin levels that  mirror those found in people with
obsessional states.
> At the same time, levels  of the hormones cortisol FSH and testosterone
rise.
> Surprisingly, the rate at  which testosterone rises in lovestruck women
is
> greater than in men, in whom  there may even be a slight fall. The level
of
> another chemical messenger, nerve  growth factor (NGF), also rises in the
blood of
> those who are â??in loveâ??.
> The  biochemical results suggest that a leaden arrow falls out between 12
and
> 24  months after Cupid has struck. The hormonal changes and increase in
NGF