[lit-ideas] Re: Director of the Spoken Word

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 17:48:26 +0100

I can't find the Indie story online (to give people a
translation), however, peerages-for-cash means
 they were being sold (it's alleged) and a caution
 in this context (less obvious, I agree) is a formal
warning by the police.  ("Interviewed";  here
"by the police" is implied.)

I'll try to spell things out, lacking a url, in future,
if only for David's sake.

David quoted (actually, I see, "quoted")

Mauresmo beats Davenport hoodoo

The ball-tampering allegation carries a possible penalty
 of a one Test or two one-dayers ban, plus a heavy fine.
<<<<<<<<<<

did the BBC really publish that as you give it here?

The captain of the Pakistani cricket team is being charged
with cricket's equivalent of corking a baseball bat.
<<<<<<<<<<<<

he is? -- yes, he is.  I thought they dropped that allegation
after the
umpire who accused him offered to retire given a hefty bribe
(£500,000) and given that the video shows nothing. But here's
the latest, which should be easily intelligible even to David:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/other_international/pakistan/5369716.stm

*and here's "Mauresmo beats Davenport hoodoo"*

Mauresmo beats Davenport hoodoo

Mauresmo recorded her first win over Davenport in
12 matches Top seed Amelie Mauresmo ended an
11-match losing streak against Lindsay Davenport,
beating her 6-4 6-3, to reach the China Open semi-finals.
(etc., not incl. anything like what David said.)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/5371580.stm

For those of you who, because you're in the US,
don't understand "hoodoo"

      2. bad luck.
      3. a person or thing that brings bad luck.

[Origin: 1870-75, American; appar. var of voodoo]
      Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.0.1)
      Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary,
      © Random House, Inc. 2006.

HTH

Judy