[lit-ideas] Diabetes (paging David Ritchie)

  • From: Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 14:23:14 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

a statistician/politician whose blog I read commented on recent news that
gastric bypass surgery has been shown to cure diabetes, see for example
http://www.nbc6.net/health/17871636/detail.html, which raises questions about
standard understanding of its causes, that is obesity which disturbs the
functioning of pancreas. The catch is that patients stabilized their blood
sugar levels and could be taken off insulin, before they even lost weight.
Suggesting the root cause of diabetes has something to do with intestine
dysfunctionality.

Blogger told this confirmed his suspicions, he had been convinced by a pandemic
researcher that there is something very wrong with the picture we have of
diabetes, because it is increasing faster than obesity or other given causes.
Now this reminds me of something David wrote, and I believe studied, couple
years ago.

As I recall, the subject was shell-shock and WWI. Point being that it was
primarily diagnosed in working class soldiers, while officers had pathologies
more fitting a gentleman. (It wasn't the other way around?) Could it be the
same with diabetes, obesity is connected to social status, so it is by default
assumed that any lower class diseases have something more or less vaguely to do
it with how they live. (And if David's point was indeed the other way around,
this theses is going nowhere...)

Cheers,
Teemu
Helsinki, Finland
p.s. My medical english is awful, I hope to your amusement and not irritation.