[lit-ideas] Re: Barrack shoe-in after Great-Aunt's crack-den shown to fund early anti-slavery and new Toni Morrison stuff {was Re: Study: Media coverage has favored Obama campaign

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 18:34:01 -0330

Reflections on Donal's and RP's remarks on maxims and "relevantly similar
situations."

On Kant's moral theory as I understand it, If a maxim is morally permissible (or
morally impermissible, or obligatory) the scope of that judgement extends to all
relevantly similar contexts of willing and action. Difficulties in identifying
"relevantly similar" are no greater than in matters of law where unintentional
homicide is differentiated from Murder 1, in matters of plagiarism where
intentional presentation of another's work as one's own is identified and
differentiated from exculpating ignorance, and in
matters of semantics where we typically intelligibly differentiate between
"indignation" and "anger," "sexual infatuation" from "agape," etc.. The
examples
can be multiplied. Surely, if humans lacked this capacity, we would not have
survived as a species. (This may be a case of the naturalistic fallacy. If so,
please delete the argument from my case.) If Popper can help here, let the man
in.

Is the status of a maxim relative to the virtues and abilities of agents? Is it
agent-relative? I don't believe it is. If one makes a moral judgement - i.e.,
Teachers ought to respect the autonomy of their students - the judgement has
universal applicability and validity. That is to say, the claim is intended to
apply to all teachers, regardless of the particular abilities and values of any
given individual teacher. One does not make a moral judgement by claiming:
"Violating the autonomy of the student is morally impermissible but perhaps
teachers possessed of superior rational abilities than I am, or teachers more
sensitive to the particularities of circumstances than I am, may justifiably
violate the autonomy of students." Such a qualification on the universal scope
of the judgement disqualifies the judgement as a moral judgement.

This should not be confused with the claim that one is not quite clear on
whether a student's autonomy is being violated by a certain pedagogical
practice or policy and defers judgement to someone believed to be more astute
and perceptive in such matters.

Walter O
MUN

I would never be disingenuous in praising the thinking of a fellow-philosopher.