[lit-ideas] Re: Crosswords, or Movies with Copious Wine

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 11:19:13 -0800

On Dec 24, 2006, at 9:32 AM, Erin Holder wrote:

I used to, actually. Then I ceased having time and an interest (or maybe it was an interest and then time). I also liked making absurdly difficult word searches. Ah, the glory and vigor of youth. Wait a sec, I still am a youth. I think. Am I? What's a youth? Alas, no time for that now. It's "MOVIES WITH COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF WINE" day! Hurrah!

I don't do crosswords; they're too much like the daily puzzles of work, a busman's holiday. But this aversion doesn't stop occupants of the house asking me to disinter the names of rivers in France and other dull facts which sometimes occupy that space in my brain which could be taken up with, say, remembering people's names. We watched a movie, "Wordplay," about crossword puzzle people quite recently. Those of you who enjoy such puzzles may like the movie. You'll get to see who among our famous people does crosswords, and be impressed by folk who can, in front of a large audience in a hotel room, solve a Sunday New York Times puzzle in about three minutes.

As for "Movies with Copious Wine" day...

Music is a bit of a touchy subject hereabouts this a.m. My wife's office staff tunes the radio to some sort of Christmas station and she isn't grinch enough to say "no." But when she, a Jew, comes home, the last thing she wants to hear is Christmas music. I, a pagan or something of that ilk, who spends much of the Christmas run-up in silence, grading papers, look forward to a few days of Christmas music just before Christmas. Yesterday I put on a CD that wasn't even Christmas music. It was of a boy treble, his voice soaring over a choir in a cathedral. Quite wonderful. My wife complained, citing the precedent of me complaining when she puts on contemporary jazz. (It's a very solid precedent--I don't like jazz after World War Two and when she puts on contemporary jazz, I find I can listen to very little of such music before I have to leave the room.) This morning I could in turn have cited last night's precedent, in true argumentative fashion, when she put on klezmer music for Christmas eve morn. Instead, I have come to write. Christmas is the only time we run into friction over cultural heritage differences. But we always do. Ah, the price of not marrying a Methodist.

Good cheer to end with? Yesterday evening we watched, "Scrooged," which was fine up until the peroration. Bill Murray gets a speech at the end which hits its theme in his second breath and then elaborates in the manner of Victorians. Though the speech only takes a few minutes to deliver, it seems about Victorian length, on the order of three hours.

On Friday, after much running around and chasing new hearing aids--my father's current pastime--all of us except my wife (who was stuck at work, listening to Christmas music) popped into the new James Bond movie. Like Andreas, we all thought it good. I'm now hoping for an Aston Martin for Christmas. As are, I'm sure, a good number among the U.S. adult population. Maybe someone could start manufacturing a knock-off in China or Bhutan? Soon?

David Ritchie,
wishing you all a merry everything from
Portland, Oregon