[lit-ideas] Credo, Quia Absurdum

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 02:00:57 EST

Andreas is into  something:

"And then there's politics and religion.  These seem to thrive on logical
impossiblity. The christian bible is a  morass of illogical statements, riddled
with logical contradictions.  Yet that doesn't bother the believers at all.

We can stick to our principles and say "that's irrational,  and therefore
you've lost", but that doesn't go anywhere. They still  believe their ideas and
we end up having to deal with  that."

I agree. It's sad to, but I have to.

People are _aware_ that what they believe is _false_ and  yet they convince
themselves (or strictly, their selves) that it's still worth  believing (with a
bit of effort from the will).

As the Oxford Dict. of Proverbs has it,

         "We soon  believe what we desire"

or

           "Desire is the mother of the thought"

Tertulianus said that vigorously.

         HEATHEN:  Virgin Mary was not a Virgin.
         TERTULIANUS:  What do you mean?
         HEATHEN: She  gave birth to a boy through her
                      uterus. What virgin is that?
         TERTULIANOS:  Credo, quia absurdum.
         HEATHEN: And  then Moses opened the waters
                       of the Nile?
         TERTULIANUS:  What about it?
         HEATHEN: What,  the river has ears?
               The river follows commands?
         TERTULIANUS:  Credo, quia absurdum.
         HEATHEN: And he  resurrected?
         TERTULIANUS: He  who?
         HEATHEN:  Jesus Christ!
          TERTULIANUS: Yes, he was crucified and
               buried, but resurrected -- was
              brought  back to life and elevated
               in body and soul to the Heaven.
              Credo  quia absurdum.
           HEATHEN: So we'll meet in  Hell?
TERTULIANUS: No  -- with the apocalypse.
          HEATHEN:  What's that?
           TERTULIANUS: When the bodies of the
              deceased  will be brought to life
              in  body and soul and meet the Maker.