[lit-ideas] Re: "Colourless Objects" (Was: Wittgenstein's Universe)

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 08:15:28 EDT

R. Paul refutes Geary's view about the 'blue wave-length' ('lenghts are
_not_, let alone _blue_) and adds as per exegesis:
>By the way, there is no such thing as 'colour,' and hasn't been since 1727.

Aha. So, it's just a matter of a chronological index. I propose: [excuse my
Austrian accent]

      "Beilaufig gesprochen: Die Gegenstande sind farblos
       -- seit 1727."
      (Wittgenstein, TLP 2.0232)

Only he possibly did not write that lest it confuse the common reader
(notably Russell).

Interstingly, dogs also do not perceive colours. I wonder if Wittgenstein's
message is that we are more animals than we think (we are)?

Cheers,

JL