[lit-ideas] Clockwork Orange

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lit-Ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 10:34:16 -0700

Here's an article from a Brit gang kid. It was published in the Guardian.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com

Nogzy, Crocky and Bizzies

I'm a Nogadog, me. I've been one for four years and I'm 17 now. I thought it was a good thing when I was young. It was all my mates. You are just a Nogzy soldier. We are all Nogzy soldiers.

It's not a nice thing to be into, fighting and shooting and that. But that's it. It can be with fists or with knives, whatever someone prefers. Or guns. I haven't used a gun, though I have shot one off in the park once. If I was in danger and lads were after me then I would use one - there are two Crocky lads after me now. If you are fighting and you have something on you, then you are just going to use it.

I suppose my preferred tool would be a gun. I don't have one but I could get one if I wanted to. You can get a gun practically anywhere here, in a shop, in a newsagent even. It's so easy - Mach 10s, Mach 11s [submachine guns], they would probably cost up to £400. There's loads of Crocky carrying guns in their shorts. I've got a BB gun stashed in them bushes if I need it. I put it there last night cos there's so many bizzies [police officers] around.

I don't look over my shoulder every day but I look for Crocky cars. Lads are slightly hesitant when a car pulls up and they don't recognise it. They could be tooled up and they could be after you.

I've been slashed in the leg but I've never been shot. A couple of months ago, Crocky lads had me at gunpoint in the back of a car. They just grabbed me in the Broadway. One of them said: "Listen I am going to blast you." It was only a milly, a nine milly [9mm pistol]. They pointed the gun to my head. I said: 'If you are going to do it, do it now.' I shat myself. They let me go because they said I was the last one on their list.

I've got pictures of guns on my mobile and my pit bull - the bizzies took him away cos they said he was illegal but they gave me him back after two days. The wallpaper on my phone is a Glock M14. The bizzies deleted the gun pictures from my girlfriend's mobile.

There's loads of Nogzy, but we break up into smaller groups because of the bizzies and section 60 [of the Criminal Justice and Order Act 1994 which grants stop and search powers if police believe people are carrying dangerous weapons] and the Asbos some of the lads have, which says they're not to hang out with more than three boys.

The gang's not fixed, it's loosely organised. We don't all meet up and have a daft committee and decide what to do. There's a hardcore of about 14. We are good us, we never do robbing. The Crocky does robbing. We do grafting. Mostly cars, I suppose I rob about two cars a month and sell them on.

I just stay in bed till about 2pm. Then I sit around and smoke weed. Sometimes we do beak [cocaine] or garys [ecstasy or MDMA] but I don't do that on the street because your jaw swings like fuck and you would need a good kip half the time. I do it every weekend though and it's fucking great. I'm being good tonight. I'll have a Bud and a smoke.

Everyone wears black, the Nogadogs and the Crocky. It's so the bizzies don't know who you are. The bizzies are twats. I've slashed their tyres twice. It's funny. They pull us over all the time, they've got the Matrix squad [firearms team], and are always around in their CCTV wagons. They'll not get any weapons on any of us.

I suppose we're always worried about grasses. Like if I told someone "I've got a piece stashed round in my back garden" and he goes and tells someone from another firm. You need to watch your back and who you talk to if you don't know they're a true Nogzy soldier.

I've been done for possession of crack cocaine - I was selling it, not doing it - and threats to kill. I've just got out a couple of months ago, I got two years for assault on a police officer and criminal damage for smashing a police van up. I was in the Farms [Lancaster Farm young offenders institution in Lancashire] and [HMP] Altcourse.

I've had charges since I was 10 or 11, all different assaults and that. My mum and dad were not too happy. My dad doesn't like gang wars. My mum's got cancer. I have got an older brother who is 21. He was a bit of a Nogadog but not like me. I am in with everything. If they are involved in it, I'm involved in it.

I couldn't be arsed with school. I never really went. They never tried to stop us being in gangs or anything. Not that they could ever tell us what to do.

I don't know what happened with that kid [Rhys Jones]. It's really terrible. He was only 11 and had nothing to do with any of this. He's got an older brother but I don't think they were trying to get him. Maybe it was just someone shooting off a gun like I did that time and he fucked up. "