[lit-ideas] Churchill's Postposition

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 20:06:44 EDT

In a message dated 9/5/2004 9:36:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx writes:
It  sounds icky when you put those place words at the end of sentences where
they don't belong at.

Good.

Note that strictly, we are talking _postposition_ here, though.

(The subject line is a ref. to R. Paul's quote from Churchill on
'preposition').

Cheers,

JL

---

From the OED

'postposition'.

A particle or relational word placed after another word, usually as an
enclitic; esp. a word having the function of a preposition, which follows
instead
of preceding its object, as L. tenus, versus, and Eng. -ward(s, as in
home-wards.

1846 Proc.  Philol. Soc. III. 9

In some classes of  languages the whole process of formation is carried on by
means of  postpositions, generally of a known and determinate signification.

1863 BATES Nat. Amazon x. (1864) 316

The feature..of  placing the preposition after the The making it, in fact, a
it, in fact, a  thus: He is come the village from.

1881 Academy 16 Apr. 283

The case-forms in  Turkish may be regarded..as parts of nouns or rather as
postpositions.

1925 GRATTAN & GURREY Our Living Lang.  I. xiii. 83

Look at the word  at in the following sentences:..(d) These are the remarks
they  laughed at... We shall therefore avoid confusion of thought if we call it
 [sc. â??atâ??] a Postposition.

1976 J. S. GRUBER Lexical  Struct. Syntax & Semantics  II. iii. 343

In Japanese, there  are some pieces of evidence..that postpositions,
quantifiers, and other things  which manifest left-branching..actually form one
 word.