[lit-ideas] Re: Church/St. Andrew's Day

  • From: david ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 09:37:13 -0800

On Nov 30, 2005, at 7:51 AM, Judy Evans wrote:

Amendment

JE> Anglicans are of course scared of schism but Anglican priests will
JE> enter into civil partnerships. (Bishops are supposed to ask them if
JE> they're celibate. Yeah right... .)

That is, in England. In Wales and Scotland, gay Anglican
priests can marry and have sex (or not marry and have sex, or...).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/religion/Story/0,2763,1653825,00.html

-- Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK

                           mailto:judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I was thinking, "*Is* there an Anglican church in Scotland?" Turns out that there is, but people cut the word "Anglican" from the title, called it "Episcopal," just as Americans do. "Gosh," I thought, "*there's* a coincidence." Not at all. It turns out that the Episcopal church in the U.S. was consecrated by Scottish bishops, who didn't insist on the Oath of Supremacy.

Note in the entry below that the Irish and the Scots agree on one preposition, but the Welsh choose another.

Typical.

Happy St. Andrew's Day to all.

In Scotland, the Church of Scotland is recognised in law (Church of Scotland Act 1921) as the "national church", but since 1929 it has not been "established" in the same manner as the Church of England. In particular the state recognises the independence of the Church of Scotland in matters spiritual, thus no ministers are appointed by the Crown or the State. The Church of Scotland has a Presbyterian system of government. A smaller Anglican church also exists in Scotland, known as the Scottish Episcopal Church, which is in full communion with the Church of England.

The Church in Wales underwent disestablishment in 1920 and became an independent member of the Anglican Communion.

The Church of Ireland had official established church status in Ireland until 1871, although the bulk of the Irish people in practice remained mostly Roman Catholic.

sources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_England

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Episcopal_Church_in_the_United_States_of_America#History

David Ritchie

expecting snow in