[lit-ideas] Re: [Christmas Special] What percentage of 'great' and 'not-so-great' philosophers are 'dysfunctional'?

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 14:58:10 -0330

These thoughts make we wonder why we are so enthralled with the private lives of
philosophers. Is it of any relevance to their philosophical work? I don't think
so. That Rawls and Hegel had a lisp, that Habermas had ... whatever it was that
he had, that Foucault may have been homosexual, that Kant suffered unrequited
love and was raised in a very strict religious family, that Voltaire had a soft
spot for young damsels forced to work the cold, lonely nights of Paris, and that
a few Oxford and Cambridge philosophers of old saw fit to pay scant attention to
certain norms and mores of "social propriety," what relevance to their
philosophical arguments do such sundry, personal and private biographical
details actually have? Shouldn't a philosopher be judged by the cogency of her
arguments? (It's not as if we were politicians, or Hollywood celebrities, after
all.)

Walter O.
The Rock of the Avalon

(after we've shovelled it out, of course.)