[lit-ideas] Re: [Christmas Special] What percentage of 'great' and 'not-so-great' philosophers are 'dysfunctional'?

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 17:27:56 -0330

In replying to a question concerning Aritole's biography, Heidegger is reputed
to have said: "Let us simply say: He was born, he lived and studied, and he
died."

Walter O.
MUN

P.S. Philosophy is not literature.

P.P.S. "Thoroughness" in philosophical terms refers to the detail and care with
which premises are examined in relation to conclusions proferred on their
basis. A "comprehensive" analysis of an argument does not include a
consideration of whether the author of that argument was breastfed, had 4 older
sisters, was a hypochondriac, was Jewish, had religious affiliations or sexual
preferences or had a gambling addiction.

Once again, epistemic criteria of rational argumentation dovetail with
fundamental norms of a constitutional democracy.