[lit-ideas] Christianity stuff

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 17:49:31 -0400

Phil: the doctrine offers up an optimism that one rarely finds
among the despisers since it begins with the view that all there is,
and that includes human beings, is good.

___

It does indeed help people and put them on a royal road. I've seen it.

However, IMHO, the doctrine of nondual Vedanta is much more optimistic than mainstream Christianity.

Can't shake the impression that the Apostle Paul is one of history's major assholes, a perverter and power monger, responsible for the Good News never getting out, for limiting that good news to the Boss's son. Otherwise Christianity would have been more akin to the message of the Vedanta.

Jesus says, "Think not of the morrow."
Paul says, "Work out your salvation in fear and trembling."

Go figure. It's all about Paul, or so it seems to me.