[lit-ideas] Re: Christianity stuff

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 18:30:26 -0400

Eric Yost wrote:

"Can't shake the impression that the Apostle Paul is one of history's
major assholes, a perverter and power monger, responsible for the Good
News never getting out, for limiting that good news to the Boss's son."

I doubt I would have wanted to hang around with Paul, but it seems to me
you have Paul assbackwards.  Paul took a sectarian group and gave it a
universal character.  Paul, hardly a 'power monger', never stayed long
in any one place, refused to depend on the locals to support him, and
was particularly adept at allowing the locals to work out for themselves
what the gospel was.  I realize it is, and has been for the last few
decades, very au currant to bash Paul but I think he has gotten a raw
deal.  One may disagree with him, but it isn't fair to accuse him of
being a power monger and perverter of the Good News.  Or if one wants to
make these accusations, one would have to do a hell of alot more work
making the case than has been done so far in so-called Pauline
scholarship.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON