[lit-ideas] Re: Charabanc! Aerodrome!

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 12:26:26 -0700

On Aug 22, 2011, at 11:41 AM, Judith Evans wrote:

> It is strange.  "Aerodrome" is stranger, though, as aerodrome still exist,
> surely?
>
> >I mean how often does one use "fold" for sheep's pen,
>
> Sheep pen?  I suppose that is what they're called, yes. Fold is something
> Assyrians come down as a wolf on the, now.
>
> This site, listed elsewhere on the Guardian, is apparently interesting; it
> doesn't work with my browser, so I can't tell.
>
> http://www.savethewords.org/

Screen one is covered with words that I can imagine Stephen Fry using, but does
it tempt me to do what they suggest and drop "adimpleate" into my everyday
speech?  It does not.  I'm reminded of visits to the humane society..."I can
see why someone turned that one in, and that one, and that one..."  Then, of
course, you come across a little darling with big eyes.  "Impigrity: you can
calculate the impigrity of a geyser by placing a chipmunk on it just before it
blows."  Ah, those Oxford wags.

Beware the sleeping policemen, Ms. Patience McClain, their task is to reduce
your Mini's impigrity.  Also to remove its exhaust system.

David Ritchie,
Warsh You