[lit-ideas] Re: Charabanc! Aerodrome!

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 11:05:00 -0700

On Aug 22, 2011, at 8:24 AM, Judith Evans wrote:

> http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/aug/21/endangered-words-collins-dictionary
>
> and here, for David, is my Google's second hit for "aerodrome"
>
> http://www.theaerodrome.com/index.php

Charabang hobsolete?  Great wittol'd woolfell.  Makes you wonder what Witold
Rybczynski's mum was up to.

It's an odd argument, but very much an argument of our times.  Why bother with
out-of-date words; they're just clutter.  I mean how often does one use "fold"
for sheep's pen, or "foremast" or an even more obscure part of a ship's
anatomy, or some other word chosen habnab (which my 1830 Walkers dictionary
records as "at random")?

The editors should be subject to electrocide.

David Ritchie,
The Profoundness of Oregon