[lit-ideas] Re: Cannon-Ho

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 18:09:33 -0700

on 5/15/05 5:32 PM, Ursula Stange at Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> A fine story, David.   But all the way through, I kept thinking (with
> the corner of my mind) about how I'm forever (well...for the last five
> years or so...) trying  to get rid of things.

Yes, there is a bag full of stuff by the front door, ready to go out in the
morning.  I think people go through at least three stages of stuff: putting
households together, middle life's throughput, downsizing.  I'd like to be
able to say that we're doing middle life about right, that we have a balance
between incoming and outgoing goods...but no.  There are eddies which
collect flotsam and must be purged from time to time.

A good garden cannon, like a well-preserved dream car, is so hard to find
that it must be seized when the opportunity presents.

Good luck with your aspirations towards recipe book purging.  I couldn't do
it.

I wonder if list members would like to say what the phrase, "well-preserved
dream car" evokes?

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon