[lit-ideas] Re: Canadian aboriginal women

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 12:22:38 -0400

Sins of commission followed by sins of ommission.
Sadly true for far too many aboriginal women and children.
More true out west than in Ontario, I think, but also sad here.

My husband and I came to Canada in the spring of 1968 early in the wave
of draft dodgers seeking a saner  life.  Civil Rights marches and riots
splashed nightly across Canadian television screens.  A month or two
before, Chicago's west side had been in flames after the assassination
of MLK.   When they heard we were from Chicago, our new neighbours in
Toronto asked us how Americans could be so intolerant, so violent, so
prejudiced against blacks.   One of us, in turn, asked about Canadians
and natives and heard this:  "Well, that's different.  Indians are lazy
drunks."   These were kind and friendly people who became friends and
who would not intentionally hurt anyone else, native or not.   But the
incident has stayed with me, both a lesson and a warning.

Ursula
in North Bay