[lit-ideas] Re: Canadian aboriginal women

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 15:06:03 EDT

In a message dated 10/9/2004 1:05:07 PM Central Daylight Time,
judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I'd better stop  your researches, Marlena; they're taking your time
away from working for  Kerry! Bush didn't call Canada a Third World
country, he simply (!) said  the drugs from Canada could be from the
Third World.  I.e., swinish  Canadians could be selling adulterated
drugs to people in the  US.

Dear Judy,
Dang. <g>  You caught me!  But, if you read what he said,  my interpretation
MIGHT fit.  (even though I agree that it is not what he  meant..)  (It did get
me reading about Canada, though, and yes, I do tend  to get
sidetracked...<sigh>...actually, I'm supposed to be cleaning out  closets. But,
I'm rewarding
myself with either reading stuff here or in my  multiple regular print
materials. <sigh> )

Here is that part of the debate...then some references about it...

For those who missed the debate, you can at least get the transcript of it
from here:

_http://www.realcities.com/multimedia/nationalchannel/news/KRT_Packages/archiv
e/election_2004/100804_debate_transcript.htm_
(http://www.realcities.com/multimedia/nationalchannel/news/KRT_Packages/archive/election_2004/100804_debate_tr
anscript.htm)

Back to sorting,
Marlena in Missouri

BUSH: I haven't yet. Just want to make sure they're safe. When a drug comes
in from Canada, I want to make sure it cures you and doesn't kill you.
And that's why the FDA and that's why the surgeon general are looking very
carefully to make sure it can be done in a safe way. I've got an obligation to
make sure our government does everything we can to protect you.
And what my worry is is that, you know, it looks like it's from Canada, and
it might be from a third world.
And we've just got to make sure, before somebody thinks they're buying a
product, that it works. And that's why we're doing what we're doing.

BUSH VS. REALITY - Intelligence

BUSH CLAIMS: â??QUESTIONER: Why did you block the reimportation of safer and
inexpensive drugs from Canada which would have cut 40 to 60 percent off of the
costs? BUSH: I haven't yet. I just want to make sure they're safe. When a
drug  comes in from Canada, I want to make sure it cures you and doesn't kill
you.â??
REALITY: White House Strongly Opposed Drug Re-Importation Despite
Congressional Research Service Reports Concluding Canadian Drugs Are Just as
Safe as
Those in the US. . In a Statement of Administration Principals issued by  the
White House Office of Management and Budget on July 23, 2003, Bush stated  his
strong opposition to drug re-importation. The SAP states, â??H.R. 2427 [to
allow
the re-importation of prescription drugs] is dangerous legislation. It  would
expose Americans to greater potential risk of harm from unsafe or
ineffective drugs, would be extremely costly to implement, and would overwhelm
FDA's
already heavily burdened regulatory system.â?? This despite the fact  that the
Congressional Research Service, a branch of the Library of Congress,  issued
reports in 2001 and 2003, concluding both times that the Canadian drug  supply
was
safe for importation to the US. The 2003 report stated, "The  statutory
requirements for approving and marketing pharmaceutical products in  the United
States and Canada are, in general, quite similar." It found that  medications
manufactured and distributed in Canada meet or surpass quality  control
guidelines set by the FDA. [Office of Management and Budget,  SAP on HR 2472,
7/23/03,
www.whitehouse.gov/omb; New York Times, 6/21/03; Knight  Ridder, 11/27/03; USA
Today, 8/12/03]
John Kerry Will Fight to Make Prescription Drugs More Affordable. John Kerry
voted again and again to permit licensed pharmacists or wholesalers to import
 prescription drugs from Canada to help cut down on prescription drug costs.
He  has cosponsored legislation and voted to give states incentives to
negotiate  Medicaid prescription drug prices with manufacturers and require
drug
manufacturers to give Medicaid programs the same discounts they gave to HMOs
and
other preferred customers, and called for similar negotiating powers for
Medicare. Kerry and Edwards will cut prescription drugs costs by allowing the
federal government to negotiate better prices through the Medicare program;
permitting the reimportation of safe, FDA-approved drugs; supporting incentives

to allow generic drugs to get to market faster. [Vote #217, 7/19/00; Vote
#200,  7/31/02; Vote #201, 7/31/02; Vote #232, 6/20/03; S. 2605, Kerry
cosponsored
 10/8/90; S. 3029, Kerry cosponsored 10/8/90; Vote #182, 7/18/02; Associated
Press, 12/15/03; www.johnkerry.com]