[lit-ideas] Re: Calling all women and someone who understands statistics

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 19:55:50 +0100

Thursday, October 6, 2005, 7:43:56 PM, Andreas Ramos wrote:

AR> Calling all women and someone who understands statistics? Does this imply
the "someone"
AR> isn't a woman?

Damn -- I didn't notice that! (or I wouldn't have replied)

AR> What the hell. I'll answer.

AR> The size of the population (the sample size in your study)
AR> determines the confidence of your
AR> results. The larger the population, the more reliable that your results
will be.

The larger the sample as a percentage of the population, the better.
("Population" = "universe sampled", sample = "subset of that
universe".  Unless the terminology's changed.)

AR>bla bla etc.
AR>10,000 events will produce results with a 1% margin of error.
AR>So, in the study with 10,000 people, the results are very reliable. The
vaccine works.

I bet you believe opinion polls too...

(I agree: the vaccine works.)

--